Killian is a very special place where the entire staff deeply cares about our students. Killian is a place where dreams can become a reality. Learning opens us all to new ideas, new ways of seeing things, and new possibilities. We are very proud of our students, our entire staff, and our supportive parents. Join us as we "Plant the Seeds of Excellence" and continue to grow in our Community of Caring values.
Killian is a 2007 National Blue Ribbon, a 2000 and 2006 California Distinguished School. Killian Elementary School continues to have an outstanding reputation for academic excellence. Our extraordinary school programs and dedicated staff continue to bring praise and recognition to our school.
The following are achievements that we are proud of:
- 2011 Title I Academic Achieving School (3rd Time)
- 2009, 2010 & 2011 California Business for Educational Excellence Honor Roll School
- 2006-2007 National Blue Ribbon Award Winner
- 2007 & 2008 Title I Academic Achieving School (Two Times)
- 2007-2008 Golden Bell Award from California School Boards Association
- 2000 & 2006 California Distinguished School
- An ongoing API Score of "10 out of 10" in similar school ranking.
- STAR (CST) scores rank among top in Rowland Unified School District.
- Top 6th grade math students take Algebra I course, at Rowland High School, followed by geometry in 7th grade.
- GATE students participate in a variety of activities designed to challenge and enrich their experiences.
- Students have access to a new iMac computer lab with 36 iMacs providing state-of-the-art internet access and network capabilities.
- A mobile iBook Lab.
- Mutiple computers per class K - 6th utilizing desktop virtualization technology
- Teacher specialists provide Music and Physical Education.
- Student Diversity is celebrated through assemblies, school-wide activities, and curriculum. Community members join in forces with the school staff for a dynamic Multicultural Day and Literacy Day.
- 1st Day of School Celebration; Parents are invited to attend school with their child for the 1st day of the school year. The 2011 -2012 school year marks the 11th Annual First Day of School Celebration.
- Students in grades K-3 benefit from smaller class sizes (22:1).
- After-school intramural sports such as basketball (2011 Elementary Basketball Champions), soccer, and softball (2012 Elementary Softball Champions) are offered to 4th, 5th and 6th grade students.
- Community of Caring school-wide events emphasize universal values at school and home.
- Before and After School academic motivation programs are available for students in grades K-6.
- A highly motivated computerized program is available to increase reading comprehension (Accelerated Reader).
- Morning Break Club is offered to all parents monthly on Thursday mornings at 8:45a.m. The program provides time to discuss new strategies, meet other parents, make and take projects.
- After school opportunities to attend Chess Club, Mad Science and Young Rembrandts Art classes.
Special Features and Programs
- Killian Staff and Students take pride in the appearance of our school. We have been consistently recognized as one of the cleanest, most well-maintained elementary schools.
- 6th grade students spend one week at Outdoor Science School, experiencing 4-5 days of intense, hands-on science investigations to make them environmentally aware.
- Killian works closely with American Chinese School, which runs an after-school program.
- Student involvement opportunities include Student Council, peer coaching, tutoring, team sports, GATE, ELD tutoring, Mad Science, Chess Club, Band, Jazz Band, and String Instrument programs.
- Cougar Den Club (an after-school program which includes homework time and various activities). Program is through RUSD's Recreation Department.
- Back to School Night, Open House, Reading Reward BBQ, Multicultural Day, various parent in-services, KSCA, and Site Council give staff and parents opportunities to get to know each other.
- KSCA (Killian School Community Association) sponsors Family Science Night, Family Movie Night and Family Fun Carnival.
- Inclusion of autistic and special ed classes in all school events and activities.