Parent Education Home
Make Rowland your source for parent education and training. A variety of programs are offered free or at a minimal charge.
- Effective Parenting - Classes are offered through the DATE Program. The 10-week series, offered in English and Spanish, includes strategies for positive discipline as well as other issues involved in raising children. For further information, contact DATE at (626) 854-8340.
- SHAPE - A national program produced by the Campfire Boys and Girls, SHAPE is a parent-child program that teaches parents to talk to their children about the physical changes they will encounter during puberty. Other sex education topics include sexually transmitted diseases, pregnancy and abstinence. Contact the Family Resource Center at (626) 854-2228 for times and locations.
- Morning Break Clubs - Parent support is provided by community liaisons at Healthy Start elementary schools. Services include sharing opportunities, speakers, parenting education and community resources. For further information about Morning Break Club schools, contact Family Resource Center at (626) 854-2228.
- First 5 - The Family Resource Center offers training for parents to promote literacy in young children, ages birth to 5 (children not yet enrolled in kindergarten). The programs are free and include a free resource kit with videos, pamphlets and more. Contact the Family Resource Center at (626) 854-2228.
- Community Based English Tutoring (CBET) - Free classes are available for parents/guardians who want to learn English. The courses are designed to help parents support their children with homework and to help them improve their ability to speak, read and write in English. Babysitting is available. Call the Parent Education Office for dates, times and locations (626) 935-8421.
- Family Reading, Math and Science Nights - Many of our elementary and intermediate schools offer enrichment programs at night to help parents support their children with reading, math and science. The events are fun and teach parents how to bring these subjects "alive" at home for their children. Contact your local elementary or intermediate school for details.
- Rowland Adult and Community Education - Rowland Adult and Community Education offers a wide range of programs at more than 20 locations throughout the district. Many courses are also available online. Call (626) 965-5975 for a class schedule.
- Ongoing Parent Education Workshops - The Parent Education Center offers workshops throughout the year on topics including Parents as Reading Coaches, Successful Parenting, the GATE Parent Academy and Getting Ready for Kindergarten. Contact the Parent Education Center at (626) 935-8421 for dates, times and locations.
- RUSD Family Literacy Program - Available at Farjardo, Hurley, Northam and La Seda Elementary Schools The program is a comprehensive family literacy program that includes adult education, early childhood education, and parent and child interactive literacy activities. For more information, call the Parent Education Office at (626) 935-8421.