I want to extend to you and your child my warmest welcome to another great school year at Killian Elementary School. My name is Mr. You and I will be your child’s 6th grade teacher this year. I graduated with a degree in psychology and completed my teaching credential at California State University of Fullerton. I also received my Masters at Walden University with an emphasis on curriculum and instruction. I have taught all grade levels ranging from second grade to high school students. My philosophy for learning is that each child is unique, and each child learns in a different way. One of my jobs as a teacher is to help your child discover his or her individuality and work alongside with them to maximize it.
I am excited to be here and assure you that I am here to assist you and your child in having a very positive 6th grade experience. I have extensive training in helping each student do their best work and pushing them to achieve their goals. I appreciate your support, as parents, because I recognize the important role that each of you have in your child's education. You can support the classroom learning experience at home by providing a quiet place for your child to complete their homework and take an active interest in what your child is learning in the classroom by asking questions.
I also enjoy spending time reading, exercising, coaching, and spending time with friends. I am really looking forward to another fun–filled educational year!
"Tell me, I'll forget. Show me, I'll remember. Involve me, I'll understand" Benjamin Franklin
California State University of Fullerton/Walden University, MinnesotaMajor: BA Behavioral Psychology/Multiple Subject Teaching Credential/Masters Degree in Curriculum and Instruction, Founder of Strategic Writers Club (SWC Academy), Teacher of the Year 2015-2016, Certified Trainer Write from the beginning (WFTB), Leadership Coach, Basketball Coach, 21st Century Education Enthusiast
Professional Work Experience
Killian Elementary School, Rowland Heights CA
6th Grade Teacher 2017 - Current:
- Conducted small group instruction (Readers and Writers Workshop) while integrating 21st Century application tools and facilitated activities with students based on differentiated learning needs to ensure all students are learning at full potential
- Organized parent-teacher conferences to maximize student learning opportunities and develop forward-thinking plans for personalized learning goals
- Employed 21st Century assessment tools and proactive strategies to improve instruction methods while employing latest teaching methodology to maximize instruction
- Attended a variety of professional development workshops centered on learning goals, classroom management, student motivation, and engaging learning activities
- Worked with diverse age groups, at-risk youth, ELL students and assisted students into tapping in their learning modality
- Demonstrated effective classroom management techniques and classroom expectations by incorporating PBIS standards
- Participated in ongoing staff training sessions, school events, and took an active role as team leader at school site
- Taught wide ranges of grade levels from 2nd-8th Grade from 2003-2019 (Ybarra Academy, Yorbita, Oswalt Academy, Rincon, and Killian)
- Curriculum Designer: 3rd-8th Grade Leadership/Debate / Business writing courses to support resume, business letters, and cover letters / 21st Century Common Core technology Writing Curriculum Designer (Expository, Creative, Argumentative, and Biographical course) / Differentiated grammar and vocabulary curriculum for grades 3rd - High School), College admissions essay curriculum designer.
- Literacy Coach Mentor: Designed a standards based curriculum using a balanced literacy approach and backwards design in collaboration with ten staff members. Trained all newly hired teachers in curriculum implementation, school policies, and student assessment implementation, and lesson plan implementation. Supported staff members to developed bi-weekly lesson plans that presented developmentally age appropriate activities based around assessments, observations, and objectives as it relates to the SWC Academy mission statement.
- Implementation of Technology: Technology based curriculum designer / Digital Media / Google Application / iMovie proficient / Implemented modern classroom management system by utilizing digital currency system / Created end of the year music videos for graduating class and published on Youtube
Public Relations Specialist: Outlined and managed comprehensive communications and marketing strategies for distribution / Developed and maintained positive relationships with parents, students, small business owners and implemented public relations to promote a positive company image / Created, distributed, and marketed flyers and business cards to promote community awareness.
Reading, writing, playing golf, basketball, hiking, and training dogs
What was your dream job when you were a child?
Secret service or become a federal agent for the government
What other jobs did you have before you became a teacher?
-Mcdonalds - Cashier
-Great Wall of China Restaurant - Busboy / Waiter
-Central Liquor Store - Cashier / Stocker
-ABC Academy Director
-Young's Painting Company - Dispatcher
-Tutor - Various Subjects
-EZ Communication - Sales Agent
-AT&T Wireless - Communication Specialist
-AT&T Wireless - Lead Communication Specialist
-AT&T Wireless - Business Sales / B2B Corporate Account Executive
-Leadership Development Coach
-Personal Development/Business Coach
-Founder of SWC Educators
-Founder/Principal of SWC Academy
What made you want to become a teacher?